What is a Top Level Domain (TLD)?
A top-level domain (TLD) is one of the domains at the highest level in the hierarchical Domain Name System of the Internet. The top-level domain names are installed in the root zone of the name space. For all domains in lower levels, it is the last part of the domain name, that is, the last label of a fully qualified domain name. For example, in the domain name www.example.com, the top-level domain is com.
New .uk Domains
We are excited to announce that starting June 10th 2014 you can register .uk domains for just $15 a year!
Here's what you need to know about the registration process:
- If you have a unique .co.uk, .org.uk, or other similar domain, the equivalent .uk domain will be automatically reserved for you until June 10, 2019, as long as the domain remains registered.
- You can check a registrant's rights with this handy lookup tool: http://www.dotuklaunch.co.uk/rights-lookup-tool.
- If you want to register a 2nd level .uk domain, such as ‘example.uk’, then the contact info for that domain must be an exact match to the existing equivalent third level .uk domain, like ‘example.co.uk’ or ‘example.org.uk’. If the information is not the same the registration will fail.
- If there is no equivalent domain with rights already existing within the .uk domain family, by registering the .co.uk you will automatically have the right to register the new .uk domain.
Note: if your third level .uk domain name resides at a registrar other than OpenSRS, Nominet will email the registrant to confirm the registration.
We think this new easier-to-use domain extension is a great addition to our current offerings and we’re please to be able to offer it to you! Please contact our Billing department for assistance with registering a new domain name, or if you have any questions regarding the registration process.
TLDs We Offer at ASO
Below is a comprehensive list of all the TLDs we register at A Small Orange.
- .com $15/year
- .net $15/year
- .org $15/year
- .info $15/year
- .biz $15/year - intended for domains to be used by businesses as an alternative to .COM
- .name $15/year
- .mobi $20/year - top level Internet domain designed to help users find Internet content that will work on their mobile phones
- .tel $20/year - unique domain extension because it doesn’t require separate hosting; global directory that stores all your contact information directly in the DNS
- .asia $20/year - targeted towards companies, organizations, and individuals in the Pan-Asia and Asia-Pacific region
- .ca $25/year - name space should be developed as a key public resource for the social and economic development of all Canadians, registrants are required to register a .CA domain for a minimum one year registration period and a maximum 10 year registration period
- .de $20/year - you must have presence in Germany, as well as functioning name servers
- .in $20/year
- .eu $20/year - available to all organizations and individuals in EU Member States
- .tv $45/year
- .us $20/year - prospective registrants in the usTLD must fall in one of three U.S. Nexus categories and must certify that they have a “bona fide presence in the United States”
- .at $30/year
- .be $20/year
- .cc $40/year
- .ch $30/year
- .dk $25/year
- .es $20/year
- .fr $25/year - available to any individuals or corporate entities that can prove they reside in one of the member states of the European Union plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland
- .me $30/year
- .mx $50/year
- .nl $18/year
- .ws $20/year
- .co $35/year
- .com.co $25/year
- .co.in $20/year
- .co.uk $26/2 years
- .me.uk $26/2 years
- .org.uk $26/2 years
- .com.au $26/2 years
- .org.au $35/2 years
- .net.au $35/2 years
- .pl $25/year
- .uk $15/year
For more information or questions about TLDs, shoot us an email.