This guide is intended for those who have already purchased a custom domain name. If you have not yet purchased a custom domain, you will need to do so, and with a domain provider who can offer you Full DNS Services with your domain hosting account.... like A Small Orange!
Create a CNAME Record
- Log in to your domain registrar's site and located the Zone File settings or DNS Manager or similar area of your cPanel (cPanel > Domains > Simple DNS Zone Editor)
- Create a CNAME record that points your domain to us
You will see three fields:
Alias (should be 'www') - indicating that the www.yourdomain.com record should point to Squarespace
Type (should be 'CNAME') - indicating that you would like to point to Squarespace by using its name
Points To (should be 'ext.squarespace.com')
Note: do not user your Squarespace site address!
Enable Domain Forwarding
- Navigate to domain forwarding from within cPanel by clicking Domains and then Redirects
- Create a 301 (permanent) redirect rule to forward the non 'www' version of your domain to the www.yourdomain.com version
- Select 'http://' and 301 redirect types from the available options
Note: it is not possible to map a custom domain to a single specific page within your Squarespace site. All mapped domains will point to the site itself and resolve to the domain configured as the primary domain.
Set Up Domain Mapping
- Log in to your Squarespace site
- Within the Site Manager section click Settings to access your domains
- Click Link Existing Domain to add your domain to your Squarespace site
Note: the DNS changes can take up to 48 hours to propagate across the entire internet. You will also need to make sure that you have the Toggle WWW set to Display WWW.
A video tutorial can be found via the Squarespace website to further guide you in this process: http://help.squarespace.com/customer/portal/articles/659223-mapping-a-domain-video-