Set Up Catch-All Email
To get started setting up a catch-all email address:
- Log in to your cPanel account
- In the Mail section, click Default Address
- Select the domain name for which you'd like to set up your catch-all in the Send All Unrouted Email For dropdown menuIn the drop-down menuYou will be given different options to choose from, which will determine how the mis-routed or mis-addressed email sent to your domain will be handled
- From the below available options, select your preference
- Discard with error to sender (at SMTP time) - if you want the emails to bounce back to the sender with a specified error message; you can choose the failure message that is given in the bounce back by filling in the Failure Message text box
- Forward to Email Address - most commonly used; all misrouted or misaddressed emails will be forwarded to the email address which is specified
Note: by having all misrouted email go to an email box you might receive a large amount of unwanted emails to the point that your inbox becomes full
- Click Advanced options to see the additional options you may choose for your default address
- Discard - if you do not want a bounce back message to be sent to the sender of the misrouted email
- Pipe to Pipe Program - will send the email to a script of your choice
Note: when piping to a program you should enter a path relative to your home directory. If the script requires an interpreter such as Perl or PHP you should omit the /usr/bin/perl or /usr/bin/php portion. Make sure that your script is executable and has the appropriate hashbang at the top of the script. If you do not know how to add the hashbang, just make sure to name your script file with the correct extension and you will be prompted to have the hashbang added automatically.
- Click Change to complete the set up of the catchall address
Emails count toward a customer's inode limits, so an overstuffed email box can result in account suspension. We recommend creating an email forwarder as an alternative.