Transfer Your Domain to A Small Orange
You always maintain complete control over your domain. As the legal registrant of the domain, this grants you the right to do what you want with the domain and you will always remain the registered owner. To begin transferring a domain over to ASO:
Once your transfer is successfully initiated you will receive an email from our registrar requesting your authorization for the transfer. Usually you get the email fairly immediately, but sometimes it can take a few hours. After you have approved the transfer usually it can take anywhere from 24 hours to a week for the transfer to complete. You will receive email confirmation once it's done.
- Unlock your domain with your current Registrar or host, if you purchased it from a hosting company
- Disable any WHOIS privacy services and make sure your primary WHOIS contact information is up to date
- Once you confirm that the domain is unlocked and ready request an EPP key from your current registrar or host
- Begin purchasing your new hosting package, making sure to select the 'I want to transfer my domain to A Small Orange' option
- Input your domain URL in the blank text field and click Continue
Note: if you would just like to order a transfer without hosting it can be done here.
- You will see the cost for the specific top level domain you requested to transfer; click to Continue
- Continue with the steps to complete your purchase
- In the 'Configure Your Domains' step input the EPP key you received from your registrar or host and then click Update Cart
- Review your cart items and then continue to Billing
Note: if you need your domain to point to a particular set of nameservers then set those at your current registrar BEFORE the transfer is started. If you do not, you will have to wait until the transfer process is complete to update them on our end.
Transfer Your Domain from ASO to Another Registrar or Host
Wait. The process should start within a few hours and be fully completed within three or four days.
- Log in to your Customer Area here: https://customers.asmallorange.com/clientarea.php
- Click My Domains, near the top, and then click View Details next to the domain you'd like to transfer
- Scroll most of the way to the bottom and untick the box next to Registry Lock
- Scroll down a bit further and click the EPP Authorization code box
Note: depending on which registrar your domain is associated with you will will either be able to view the EPP key right in the Billing panel OR it will be emailed to the primary WHOIS contact on the account. Hold on to this key code as you will need it to start the transfer and for the authorization email from your new registrar.
- If you have domain privacy enabled please email firstname.lastname@example.org to have it disabled, since you will not receive your authorization request if it's turned on
- Log in to your new registrar and initiate the transfer from their control panel
- Enter the EPP key information when requested